Monday, October 12, 2015

OCT: Week 4 Reflection



          This week's chapter hit me quite hard. I experienced an episode of introspection not felt in quite sometime. The idea of FLOW and balancing duty and passion were good to explore. For one, I think I incorporate a great deal of practices that facilitate “Flow” at my current job. But, would I say that the job itself is a pursuit of passion or one that lets loose the spigot of creativity? Not really. It is enjoyable mainly because I’ve been able to incorporate many of my passions into the creation of lessons and classroom activities. The “flow” turns down to a trickle once I get into the classroom and teach, and then dries up completely when it comes time to grade and revisit assignments with students. 

The part that I love is the creation of the materials, the organization of units, and the puzzle of figuring out how to address standards in creative ways. I love education and theory. Pondering the solution to systemic problems is a great exercise. Incorporating art and video games into lessons is wonderful. Standing before a classroom of middle school students, not as much fun. It feels more like an obligation, a duty, and is absolutely draining. 

Maybe it’s a good balance. I’m not sure. Not many jobs allow such creative freedom. But, I don’t think I can do it forever. Hence my pursuit of this MAT program.Utilizing technology in the classroom definitely facilitates “flow” for me. I’d love to keep doing what I’m doing, incorporating technology creatively to teach, I just don’t know if I want to work directly with kids at the same. 
    Who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind next week.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment